This game was much less painful than the last several playoff losses. When you think about this loss in New England in comparison to recent playoff losses it doesn’t even come close.
The Chiefs lost to the previous Super Bowl champions on the road by seven points without multiple star players. That takes a lot of the pain away to know that we had a very good team and just couldn’t get it done against who might be this year’s Super Bowl champions.
Were we disappointed? Yes, without question as we anticipated this being a winnable game and could make a legitimate run at a Super Bowl given all the injuries the Patriots had been facing.
There’s been much worse losses however that Kansas City fans have endured, here’s a few of the most recent ones.
1. ’95 Colts Loss -The pain of losing as a result of multiple missed field goals by a player who shall remain nameless
2. ’97 Broncos Loss – The pain of losing to a divisional rival at home knowing that Kansas City’s better quarterback was on the bench
3. ’03 Colts Loss – The pain of losing a shootout when you had historically one of the best offenses in franchise history
4. ’06 Colts Loss – The pain of being tortured in watching a Chiefs football team not get a first down until the third quarter
5. ’10 Ravens Loss – The pain of getting blown out at home and having a quarterback throw 70 total yards
6. ’13 Colts Loss – Blowing a 28-point lead in the playoffs takes the cake.
These are losses that took enough of a toll on Chiefs fans that it took days and sometimes weeks for us to recover. Maybe the reason some of us are feeling better than previous losses is just the fact that we ended that God forsaken playoff drought that we just felt better about this postseason? Maybe it’s this confident feeling we have in the front office after three straight years of a winning record?
The bottom line here is there are enough good things going on at Arrowhead Drive to be confident in the future of this football team. While it’s sad to continue to watch other teams be in the mix for the Lombardy Trophy it is refreshing to know we are closer than ever to getting there.
That’s what’s on mind, Addicts, what’s on yours?