The Kansas City Chiefs lost to the Packers tonight, finishing the preseason with a record of 1-3.
We didn’t learn a whole lot about the Chiefs tonight because the starters only played briefly, but here are some observations from the game.
1. The Chiefs got back to running the ball. If last week was about the pass, this week was about establishing the run. KC came out and shoved the ball down Green Bay’s throat. Jamaal Charles, Peyton Hillis and the offensive line all looked good.
2. Matt Cassel completed one pass and then Romeo yanked him. I am okay with that.
3. Nate Eachus got a couple of looks with the starting group tonight. One sweep play kind of hung him out to dry and he was hit for a loss. Still, he had some decent runs and played most of the game. He runs hard and could be a prime candidate to make the practice squad.
4. Brady Quinn was fairly effective. He threw a pick in the red zone but he is still far and away the second best QB on the team. He was able to move the ball a bit with some of the starters on the field so that is a good sign.
5. Ricky Stanzi is just bad.
6. Alex Tanney got into the game briefly but was then replaced by Ricky Stanzi. He did complete a 46-yard pass but it was wiped out by a holding penalty.
7. I’ll have to review the tape but I thought Dontari Poe did a pretty nice job of holding his ground tonight.
8. Shaun Draughn had some nice runs as well, though some of those came against Green Bay’s reserves. Still, he showed some nice moves and will likely make the team if the Chiefs keep four RBs.
9. The Chiefs need to be careful of their penalties. A lot of them came when the reserves were on the field but the starters got a few as well.
10. Jake O’Connell and Donald Washington. I think we may have seen the last of at least one of these guys. Possibly both.
11. KC’s reserve defensive backs are bad. Thankfully, most of them will be cut.
The Chiefs looked decent on both offense and defense while there starters were on the field. The important thing was that they played well enough to wash the bad taste of last week’s loss to the Seahawks out of their mouths.
Frankly, I don’t know what to make of this Chiefs team. In 2009 and 2011 I was sure the Chiefs were in trouble after watching the preseason. In 2010, I could tell the team was greatly improved and I had a good feeling about them.
This season? I think they could go either way.
I guess we’ll find out in about a week and a half.
We’ll be back tomorrow with more coverage. The Chiefs will likely trim their roster tomorrow at some point. Be sure to check AA frequently tomorrow for updates on the final 53.
What did you guys see tonight?
Topics: Kansas City Chiefs