The Kansas City Chiefs - despite having to listen to a chorus of criticism all season long - are back in the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, this is Kansas City's fourth trip in five seasons.
The team will have the chance to earn the franchise's fourth Super Bowl championship and cement their dynasty status.
But we're here to look back. We're here to reminisce. We're here to breakdown each of the team's previous three championships.
Super Bowl IV (1969 Season):
- The 1969 season was a triumph for the Chiefs, finishing with a 11-3 record.
- Led by head coach Hank Stram, the team sported 14 AP All-Pro players.
- In the playoffs, the Chiefs defeated the New York Jets in the AFL Divisional Round.
- They then clinched the AFL Championship by overcoming the Oakland Raiders.
Super Bowl IV (January 11, 1970):
- The Chiefs faced the heavily favored Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV.
- Led by quarterback Len Dawson, the Chiefs delivered a dominant performance, winning 23-7.
- The victory secured the Chiefs' first Super Bowl title, and Len Dawson was named the game's MVP.
Super Bowl LIV (2019 Season):
- The 2019 season marked the Chiefs' return to dominance with a 12-4 record under head coach Andy Reid.
- Quarterback Patrick Mahomes showcased his generational talent and skills, earning league MVP honors.
- In a comeback for the ages, the Chiefs overcame a 24-point deficit to defeat the Houston Texans in the Divisional Round.
- They secured the AFC Championship by triumphing over the Tennessee Titans.
Super Bowl LIV (February 2, 2020):
- The Chiefs faced the San Francisco 49ers in a thrilling Super Bowl.
- In the fourth quarter, Patrick Mahomes led a comeback, scoring three touchdowns to secure a 31-20 victory.
- Andy Reid's strategic brilliance was on display, earning him his first Super Bowl title as a head coach.
- Patrick Mahomes was named Super Bowl MVP, solidifying the Chiefs' status as champions.
Super Bowl LVII (2022 Season):
- The 2022 season saw Kansas City rebound from an AFC Championship game loss the previous year to tie the franchise record for most wins in a season.
- Quarterback Patrick Mahomes once again won the NFL MVP Award.
- Kansas City survived a late surge by Jacksonville in the Divisional Round before defeating the Cincinnati Bengals in a rematch of the AFC Championship.
- This was the team's third trip to the Super Bowl in four years.
Super Bowl LVII (February 12, 2023):
- Kansas City trailed by 10 at halftime, but rallied in the second half to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles. It was the third-highest scoring Super Bowl on record.
- Patrick Mahomes was named Super Bowl MVP.
This post contains affiliate links, where we may receive a percentage of any sale made from the links on this page. Prices and availability are accurate as of the time of publication.