As the weather gets hotter, the beginning of training camp and grows closer and closer. As we reach the halfway point of this year, it is important to reflect on the first 180 days. Today’s column consists of a critical review of Chief happenings over the last several months, signified by either praise (peace pipe) or criticism (hatchet).
1. Trading for Matt Cassell. Chiefs got a proven NFL starter for at least one year for a second-round pick, and in the process totally dismantled the Broncos franchise (thank you, Josh McDaniels).
2. Drafting of defensive lineman on the first and third rounds.What else can you do after you have resolved the QB situation and are left with the worst pass rush in NFL history?
3. Trading of Tony G. I know this could be on either side of the ledger, but if you really are not selfish and want whats best for Tony and the Chiefs this makes sense.
4. Moving Training Camp to Mo. Western. This makes sense and thank you, Jay Nixon. It allows Royal weary fans to escape to St. Joe for a Chiefs fix, keeps tax dollars in the state and allows the players to get accommodated to the Midwestern heat
5. Roger Goodell for keeping the integrity of the game and handing out discipline appropriately.
6. Continued improvements to Arrowhead. When completed we will have a stadium of equal or superior excellence to the beautiful new Kaufmann.
7. Larry Johnson good behavior? Maybe the trials and tribulations and the lack of interest by other teams have hit home. May we expect a new Larry?
1.Jason Whitlock complaining about the Chiefs trying to run a successful franchise without his interference.
2. Brian Waters acting like NFL Brat of the Year instead of Man of the Year.
3. Continued construction at One Arrowhead Drive — it looks like a war zone.
4. Royals continue their modern tradition of dismal seasons and add pressure onto the Chiefs for a quick turn-around.
5. Mike Vrabel for not showing up for OTA’s.
6. Dwayne Bowe for showing up at 243 pounds. He may be eating his way out of the lineup. Did he get some of buddy JaMarcus Russell’s mama’s cooking when he went back South for the offseason?
Happy Birthday to ArrowheadAddict/FanSided.com co-founder and my son Zach. He continues to amaze me through his teaching, computer skills and coaching.