Pretty boring day. As for the lineman, all they need to do is lift and run fairly well. As for the tight ends, um, we don’t really need one of those. Here are my thoughts…
- My big winner today, from a Chiefs’ perspective, is offensive tackle Jason Smith. He ripped off 33 bench reps which is impressive considering he’s not Andre Smith massive at around “only” 309 pounds. On the other hand, he’s not Andre Smith dumb either. Jason Smith used to play tight end, so we know he’s athletic. I would say he’s on the Chiefs radar at this point.
- Some people probably would scoff at the idea of picking another first-round tackle, but I’m confident Branden Albert could play right tackle if we needed him to. The other thing is, if we go after Matt Leinart, and I think we definitely could, our right tackle would basically be our left tackle. Our right tackle would protect Leinart’s blindside because he’s a southpaw. Don’t dismiss Leinart either. I could easily see Todd Haley wanting him, and also Leinart wanting out with Kurt Warner likely returning.
- The thing we need to remember about Matt Cassel and Leinart is that if we pass on bringing them in, then they probably weren’t worth it in the first place. Haley and Scott Pioli know these two quarterbacks better than anybody in the league.
- Tomorrow is Sanchez Sunday. It’s his day. Why do I prefer Mark Sanchez to Matt Stafford? I prefer him because the way he carries himself. I think he has determination, guts, swagger and toughness that Stafford will never have. He’s a leader — is Stafford? Everyone makes a big deal about him only starting 16 games, but during his four years at USC (he redshirted), he’s been buried beneath three pro quarterbacks. Besides, as Todd McShay pointed out on a recent SportsCenter, Dirty’s 2008 redzone stats blew away Stafford’s. Here’s hoping the kid has his coming out party today. He could be our quarterback of the future.
- Stafford hurt himself by not throwing. He backed down from the biggest challenge of his football career to date. It looks bad. Period. He better throw like Elway on his pro day, that’s all I’m sayin’.
That’s it for today. Back tomorrow with more…