…the good folks over at SI.com’s Fantasy Clicks also think Larry Johnson will tear it up for the Chiefs in ’08. Good stuff:
I don’t have Larry Johnson on any of my eight fantasy teams – but it certainly wasn’t for lack of trying. I am one of the few, the proud fantasy writers (and I have 12 preseason annuals on my desk to prove it) who believe Johnson will have no difficulty returning to his circa-2006 glory days … you know, before all the injuries, holdouts and incessant whining about the demise of the Kansas City offensive line. In fact, here are five reasons to support L.J.’s uprising in ’08:
1. Johnson can make sharp cuts without pain — something he couldn’t do at the end of last season, after coming back from a “freak” foot injury.
2. Johnson has regained his explosion within two steps of getting the ball.
3. Chan Gailey, a proven power-running specialist, is the Chiefs’ new offensive coordinator.
4. The continued development of receiver Dwayne Bowe and freakishly consistent play of tight end Tony Gonzalez will, in turn, create sizable running lanes for Johnson.
5. Backup tailback Kolby Smith surpassed the 100-total-yards mark three times in six starts last year, behind a supposedly suspect O-line … which now boasts Branden Albert, perhaps the best run blocking lineman in last April’s draft.
Unfortunately, I don’t own him either, as I always picked too early or too late. Nonetheless, I think Iron Man is back. Sing it…
Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again! – “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath