As we all know, I’m about as big of a Larry Johnson backer as you’ll find in the universe. I’ve said dozens of times that I think he’s the best pure rusher and second best running back in the league, so that’s nothing new. What I did discover that’s new, at least to most of us, is that New Era Scouting also ranks Iron Man as the second best RB in the NFL. Take a look:
Our preseason look at every player in the NFL continues with our running back rankings. Every NFL running back and fullback are listed.
Please note that the grades given are our own. Each player is ranked in order of who we would want as our starting running back for the 2008 NFL Season only. We have taken in to account age, production and potential in grading the players below. Only drafted rookies are listed.
Name- Team- Grade- Stats (Attempts/Yards/Average/TD)
1. LaDainian Tomlinson- SD- 10- 315/1474/4.7/15
2. Larry Johnson- KC- 10- 158/559/3.5/3
3. Adrian Peterson- MIN- 10- 238/1341/5.6/12
4. Steven Jackson- STL- 9- 237/1002/4.2/5
5. Brian Westbrook- PHI- 9- 278/1333/4.8/7
6. Willie Parker- PIT- 8- 321/1316/4.1/2
7. Joseph Addai- IND- 8- 261/1072/4.1/12
8. Marion Barber- DAL- 8- 204/975/4.8/10
9. Frank Gore- SF- 8- 260/1102/4.2/5
10. Willis McGahee- BAL- 8- 294/1207/4.1/7
11. Fred Taylor- JAC- 8- 223/1202/5.4/5
I listed the rankings way down through Marion Barber and Fred Taylor for those of you who have been coming ’round these parts arguing that they can hang with L.J. Argue if you want, but New Era Scouting has a pretty damn good reputation. A much better one than Pet Prisco for sure. Sharing the same score with Adrian Peterson and LaDanian Tomlinson. That’s pretty good company, folks. It just frustrates me that sometimes he doesn’t even get this level of respect from Chiefs fans and local media, because I think he’s earned it.