It’s now Senior Bowl week, which is far more important to us than all the hype and hoopla surrounding the Super Bowl. We’ll get to all that next week. For now, let’s look at some of the players the Chiefs are certain to be interested in. (official site here; North roster; South roster)
- QB Joe Flacco, Delaware – The Chiefs have already been linked to the 6-foot-6 Delaware product. In my opinion, Flacco can boost his stock more than any other player participating this week. I’ve already heard that he is outplaying both Booty and Henne (sounds like a rap music video). Keep an eye on this kid. Right now he might be getting overlooked because he didn’t face D-I talent, but that could also continue to be the case.
- QB Andre’ Woodson, Kentucky – He has all the tools, but can he pull them all together and become a quarterback that makes good decisions? That is the big question. Could slip in the draft, potentially interesting the Chiefs to trade up and draft him later in round one.
- QB Colt Brennan, Hawaii – Another QB who is underrated in my opinion. If he is there early in the second, we might have to pick him.
- CB/KR DeJuan Tribble, Boston College – Another two-position player that the Chiefs can get after the first round. Tribble is a little short, but so is DeAngelo Hall. Gotta like this kid.
- K Brandon Coutu, Georgia – Once again, we are in desperate need of a kicker. We have accumulated the picks to once again take a flier on one.
- WR/KR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State – It sounds like he’s already on the team. He’s like a cross between T.J. Houshmadzadeh and Wes Welker. You know Herm Edwards is salivating over a guy who went from walk-on to All-American, especially considering that he returns kicks. Deceptively fast and has good size and strength.
- OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College – Another B.C. product that could be there in round two. We’ll definitely have our eyes on Cherilus this week.
- OT Sam Baker, USC - Probably the third best tackle in the draft, I don’t see us taking Baker. Zach thinks he can rise, though, so it’s possible. If we traded down, however, we easily could end up doing so. As bad as we need a tackle, I had to include him on this list.
- DT Sedrick Ellis, USC - Another USC guy, but one who could conceivably rise to the five spot. I just really don’t see us using half of our first-day picks from this draft and last on defensive tackles. Sorry.
- CB Chevis Jackson, LSU - Has sleeper written all over him. He’s big (6-foot tall), plays faster than his respectable 40 time, he’s aggressive, he’s a good tackler, he played against top-notch competition and can also return kicks. This might be my favorite cornerback who won’t go in the first round. He’d be a perfect understudy for Ty Law, and all his weaknesses can be addressed with coaching (mostly over-aggressiveness and recognition). I really like this kid.
Who are you looking at during this week’s Senior Bowl?