- The folks over at Warpaint Illustrated are really on their game as of late. In their latest they reveal that…
1. Denver Broncos offensive assistant Jeremy Bates is also a candidate for the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator job.
2. Paul Hackett is not a candidate. (I can hear Chiefs Nation take a collective exhale)
3. Eddie Drummond is done! The Chiefs will begin searching for a new return man.
4. It will not be Jeff Webb. The coaching staff wants him to focus on being the team’s third receiver.
5. Bears linebacker Lance Briggs could be a free agent target. Keyaron Fox will be released, and the Chiefs are worried about Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris.
6. Guard Ryan Lilja likely won’t be retained by the Colts, and could end up back in Kansas City.
7. Brian Waters is moving to center. Damion McIntosh to right tackle. All of that paves the way for the Chiefs to bring in a pair of guards and franchise left tackle. If Jake Long is there at pick No. 4 or 5, then he’ll more than likely be the guy.
They also indicated in an earlier article that Pat Surtain will be retained if, and only if, he restructures his bloated deal. If you read between the lines all of this reveals much more. Casey Wiegmann, Eddie Kennison, John Welbourn, Samie Parker and Ty Law are all toast. It also shows that not only are we looking for a corner, a linebacker, a kick returner and offensive line help, but it also seems like we are looking for a new No. 2 wide receiver. Personally, I like Bernard Berrian or D.J. Hackett, but that’s just me. It does actually seem like the Chiefs began this process some time ago, though. That’s good.
- Arrowhead Pride hooks us up with a pretty funny — and timely — least valuable Chiefs list. There are no real surprises.
- Speaking of awards, the players have voted and Jared Allen was given the Derrick Thomas Award, given to the team’s MVP. Dwayne Bowe was voted the Mack Lee Hill Award winner, given to the team’s best rookie. No surprises there either, though Tony Gonzalez certainly had to be considered for the D.T. Award. – Chiefs Official Site
- K.C. Chiefs Fanatic also takes a look at the possible offensive coordinator candidates. It seems he’s highest on Brian Billick and Eric Price. Again, Billick is not the answer. His price tag would be outrageous, he’s an egomaniac and he couldn’t ever right Baltimore’s offense even though he had nearly a decade to do so.
- I was going to favorably link this MVN post looking at free agent wideouts, but then I read something about “Larry Johnson Disease.” What is it with the majority of Chiefs fans and pundits? The guy gives us 416 carries and drags us into the playoffs, and then gets hurt trying to produce an encore. In return, we treat him like he’s Benedict Arnold or something. I just don’t see where his heart can be questioned. Then again, I like Larry so I’m one of the few people out there who look at the situation somewhat objectively. When people bag on L.J. like this they sound like a spurned lover, or, better yet, a fan who doesn’t know what the hell they are talking about.